Thursday, December 15, 2005

Farewell


I'm leaving Palestine on Saturday to return to America. The other day, I met for the last time with a group of high school senior girls from the village of Kharbatha Beni Hareth.

Once a week, I taught them a little English and they taught me a lot about Palestinian culture and village life. During the period of the class, one of my students announced proudly that she had just become engaged to her cousin, Mohammad, who was the brother of another student. I congratulated her. She said she would marry in the summer and still hoped to attend college. They all, in fact, would like to attend college, but to do so they must score well on the end-of-high school exam administered in the summer. The English portion of the exam counts for one-quarter of the overall grade, so their voluntary attendance at my class was important to them.

The last class, they surprised me with a "lunch," which was more like a feast. They each brought a dish: maqlouba, mousakhen, pizza, salad ... Will you remember us in five years, one of them asked me. Yes, I promised. I will.

6 Comments:

Blogger Imaan On Ice said...

Very very nice blog, wish I had been here more often.
See here:
http://living-in-gaza.blogspot.com/2005/12/go-see-this.html

11:52 AM  
Blogger Imaan On Ice said...

see also here:
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/globalvoices/-/world/middle-east-north-africa/palestine/
" After three months in Palestine, Bob has said good bye to his friends, he’s back home now."

11:59 AM  
Blogger lisoosh said...

I am also sorry I did not discover your blog sooner.
You have a wonderful way of describing places and situations in a clear concise manner without injecting too much emotion or drama into your narrative. I would say that you have a great career ahead of you in journalism.
Good luck.

5:57 AM  
Blogger zeevveez said...

I tried commenting on your other blog
http://ninemonthsinsyria.blogspot.com/
but there was no comments feature.
I blogged your posting about Homs on
http://star-of-david.blogspot.com/2007_03_01_archive.html#2820644829810946841
Thanks,
Zeevveez

3:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey!
i am not sure if you know that your blog is added to Syria Planet and Syrian readers are eager to comment on your Syrian blog.
i hope to meet you in Syria sometime :-)

Sham

4:49 AM  
Blogger مترجم سوري said...

i really envy u for being able to visit Palastine. one of my dreams is to go and walk in alQodos, but i already know that this will never happen,
anyway, nice blog, i have read the other one about ur visit to Syr, it ached my heart as i'm living abroad.

hope to hear from u.
rahaf

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home